In compiling the content of the end of the period report on Tainan City’s “2009 construction sites’ pollution control audit plan”, over the 12 months the underwriter Cosmostek Engineering Consulting Company, Limited has been facilitating the Bureau of Environmental Protection to execute the Tainan City jurisdiction’s construction projects roaming inspection control, audit the management measures, levy the construction air pollution fee, and campaigning work, where all working categories have been completed as per the planned scheduled, with detailed content of work and results described in relevant sections and chapters.
With the Air Pollution Fee system moving toward its thirteenth year, and as the declaration of the air pollution surcharge has been shifted toward emphasizing a satisfaction-oriented declaration quality as demanded by the general public, the current year’s work emphasizes specially on stepping up the personnel’s overall service quality. A summary on the current stage’s results is as follows,
In the area of strengthening the air pollution fund, statistics covering the period from June 19, 2009 to May 31, 2010 shows that the city’s new levy cases of the construction Air Pollution Fee system
1. air pollution prevention surcharges total to 1,507 cases, which collect a total of $46,222,852, complete with dunning implementation on a monthly basis, with the remittance ratio following the dunning efforts tallied to 100%.
2. In the aspect of monitoring, following the induction of the construction projects’ air pollution and treatment facility management measures (hereinafter referred to as the Management Measures), the program covers more than the classified roaming inspections, onsite counseling action plan to promote the sites’ voluntary action on pollution prevention and roadway adoption work, but additional manpower has also been injected to steadfastly inspect level-1 and level-2 construction sites within the jurisdiction, where level-1 project audits are 100% compliant to the contractual stipulations, and level-2 project audits are 90% compliant to contractual stipulations, with the audit ratio tallied at 85% according to the overall construction projects’ management measures.
3. Of the project roaming inspection records, a total of 3,758 roaming inspections have been completed, of which those found with zero deficiency account for 91%, where no state of major pollution has been found on site; those with some state of pollution account for 9%. The audit results have also been used to enlist for audit control, and within the project period, a total of 336 construction sites have been enlisted and reported. The subsequent inspection finds the state of improvement on pollution prevention facility at approximately 98%.
4. Of the estimated results of the pollution volume control by roaming inspection, with the total volume of permeable powder dust of construction projects that needs to be monitored over the 12-month project implementation period set to 9,739 tons, the onsite monitoring has grasped the pollution of 8,993 tons, and under the circumstances where the city has around 1,000 or so of constructions being done per year, by selecting the optimal control subjects and strategies for grasping construction sites with greater pollution volume has been able to demonstrate 90% of the control yield.
5. Of 40 spots checked for TSP concentration around the peripheries of construction sites at construction projects throughout the city that have repeatedly been reported of complaints and of 30 cases of sulfuric content screening inspections on construction machinery and equipment, except one location that has the TSP concentration screened to exceed the legal standard that has been reporting to the Bureau of Environmental Protect, the rest have been found to meet the criteria.
6. Following the induction of convenience stores’ payment processing system for the air pollution surcharge and other relevant regulatory fees, of more than 1,200 fine and payment slips issued thus far since the system is inducted online, an initial statistics shows that 60% of the remitters have chosen to pay the fees through the convenience stores.
7. In promoting the roadway hosing and sweeping adoption, it also broaches from large-scale projects as the priority subjects of promotion, and through audits of hosing and sweeping over several months, it is found that having construction projects adopt their surrounding roadways is one of the fine methods of maintaining the environment and cutting down the granule air pollutants, with the number of roadway adoptions totaling 166 spots, and a cumulative street hosing and sweeping mileage of 12,566km. There is a total reduction of TSP pollutants by 713 tons, and PM10 of 32.7 tons.
8. In the execution of the integrated campaigning work, it emphasizes on the management measures promulgated by the Environmental Protection Administration and the promotion of the new Air Pollution Fee system, which airs to facilitate the operators to understand that under the requisite of adaptation, the production of campaign literature and the instilment of an electronic campaign, coordinated with two large-scale campaign presentations and eight sessions of coordination meetings, have been sought, on the one hand, to gain in-depth understanding of the site problems by demanding the operators to enforce the management measures, and on the other hand to facilitate the operators resolve pollution, and urge the sites to emphasize the environmental issues.
9. Staging the construction site evaluation: A set of construction site evaluation criteria and indicators have been instilled by referencing the “Construction Site’s Air pollution Prevention Facility Management Measures”, and by sorting the roaming inspection records, together with retaining experts and scholars to conduct excellent construction site evaluation on level-1 and leve-2 sites separately, and an open commendation has been held on June 10 to honor a total of six construction sites on various levels.
10. In terms of the overall construction pollution volume reduction, the reduction of permeable powder dust in the project implementation year totals to 60%, with a reduction of TSP totaling to 1,637 tons.
As can be told from the state of discharge over the years, the project’s results are found to be superior than the previous years, with the reduction ratios to be steadily improving, which suffices to demonstrate that the environmental protection authorities’ control strategies on the construction projects have received compound effects.