(1) The ambient hazardous air pollutant (HAP) monitoring data from Mai-Liao special industrial park were collected, included 26 Volatile organic compounds, 7 heavy metals, and dioxins. Analysis method was followed US EPA’s National Monitoring Programs. The results showed that the benzene, ethylbenzene, arsenic, nickel, cadmium and lead are the important HAP species in ambient air in Yunlin. Comparison of the important HAPs species concentration with reference ambient air concentration were also conducted in this study. The reference concentrations are including the air quality guideline from World Health Organization, the air quality target or limit value from European Commission, the national environment protection measure standard from Australia National Environment Protection Council, and the environmental standard or guideline from Japanese Ministry of the Environment, and the long-term health air monitoring comparison values from Texas Environmental Quality Commission. The ambient concentrations of benzene and arsenic are relatively close to those reference values, and the concentration of other four species is far lower than those reference values.
(2) In analyzing the HAPs control strategy and regulations of stationary sources that established by Taiwan Environmental Protection Agency (Taiwan EPA), showed that the strategy is technology-based and supplemented by health-risk based. Five regulations which were related with HAP control have established by Taiwan EPA under the authority of Air Pollutant Control Act, those regulations are “List of hazardous air pollutants and emission limits of the first batch of stationary sources”, “Health risk assessment process of hazardous air pollutants from stationary sources”, “List of public and private places which should be set up for air pollution prevention units or personnel and health risk assessment personnel”, “Environmental protection prevention units or personnel training and management ” , and “ Air pollution prevention unit or personnel management”. A draft emission standards for HAP from stationary sources was also announced. The emission reporting and permit system to incorporate HAPs were also analysis in this project. The compliance of Vinyl chloride and polyvinyl chloride manufacturing control and emission standards shows that the 3 processes, i.e., one vinyl chloride process (M11) and two polyvinyl chloride process (M71 and M72) of the Taiwan Plastics Industry Co., Ltd, have been completed or implemented the improve work.
(3) According to the analysis of the data on the emission of 13 VOCs from the air pollution fee from 2016 to 2018, the major source are process emissions which accounting for more than 85% of the total emissions. Toluene, xylene, benzene, styrene, and methylene chloride are the species with large emission, they accounting for more than 95% of emissions. In the view of toxicity-emission weighting, chloroform, 1,2-dichloroethane, benzene, xylene, and trichloro-ethylene are the more important species. Six important HAPs are emitted from Formosa Petrochemical Corporation Mai-Liao No. 1 Plant, followed by Taiwan Chemical Fiber Company Mai-Liao plant emits 5 important species, those two plants are the source of emissions that can be investigated as a priority. Using the available permit database of stationary source to analyze industries that may be affected by the HAP regulations, 32 companies and 61 processes were screened out as the public and private plants which should be set up for air pollution prevention units or personnel and health risk assessment personnel. The public and private plants that may subjected to the regulation of emission limits are also listed, the number of plants are 20 for dioxins, 3 for cadmium and its compounds, 10 for trichloroethylene, 1 for vinyl chloride, and 74 for lead and compounds.
(4) The continuous monitoring work of VOCs has been completed since the establishment of the northern site (Xucuoliao Port Direct Sales Center) and the dormitory station (Haifeng Dormitory). The total of 67 station-day monitoring results has been completed as of December 31, and the total of the northern site and the dormitory station Carried out two times of remedial maintenance of the station, the total number of valid data reached 97.5%; The mobile monitoring operation completed a total of 10 mobile monitorings at 5 stations on December 21.
(5) As a result of the overall fixed station monitoring results, the average concentration of all items at the fish market station is below 1.0 ppb. The average concentration of all compounds in the dormitory station was also below 5.1 ppb, while Ethylbenzene, m, p-Xylene, o-Xylene and Styrene had a high-value event on December 10, in addition Propene, Isopentane and Benzene had higher background concentration.
(6) According to the overall mobile monitoring results, the Wengang settlements are dominated by Propene and Toluene; Xinxing Elementary School had a high-value event during the monitoring period, tVOC reached 384.0 ppb; During the monitoring period of Fengan Elementary School, the high values were concentrated in the early morning hours. The main species were Propene, Acetone, 1,2-Dichloroethane and Toluene; Except for Propene, Acetone, and Toluene, the average concentration of all other test items in Lunfeng Elementary School is less than 1.0 ppb; In addition to Acetone and Benzene, the average concentration of other test items at Haifeng Branch is less than 0.1 ppb.