Project Results Summary of Environmental Protection Bureau, Tainan City Government
1. Project Title: Noise Monitoring and Management 2020 in Tainan City
2. Executive Organiser: JS Environmental Technology and Energy Saving Co., Ltd
3. Principal Investigator: Jun-neng Chen
4. Dates: 5th March 2020 to 4th March 2021
5. Budget: NT$ 2,950,000
6. Executive Summary
The major tasks of this project are to: (1) monitor and measure noise levels in general areas and noise from road traffic in Tainan City; (2) monitor and measure sites from citizens’ complaints and designated sites by the EPB; (3) measure the noise levels of the stationary noise of operating motor vehicles; (4) inspect the airport and measure the parallel noise level of aircrafts; (5) assist in reviewing and revising noise control relevant regulation announcement of Tainan City and organise noise relevant consultative meetings (or promotion, information meetings); (6) update online information regularly and maintain the noise control website of Tainan City; (7) report to the Performance Evaluation of Environmental Protection Agency by the EPA on progress of noise control; other assignments such as religious events noise control. The results are summarized below.
(1) Monitor and measure noise levels in general areas and noise from road traffic in Tainan City: In this project, the monitoring and measuring are completed in 12 environmental noise measuring stations and 12 road traffic noise measuring stations. As required, the monitoring days amount to 192 days by the end of January 2021 at an achievement rate of 100%. The monitoring results accord with the evaluating regulations of the EPA. The data and photos of each season are uploaded to the Noise Control Information System of the EPA.
(2) Monitor and measure noise pollution sites from citizens’ complaints and designated sites by the EPB: 8 monitoring procedures are executed at an achievement rate of 100% -- 6 for citizens’ complaints and 2 for designated sites by the EPB. The results are in accordance with relevant noise control regulations.
(3) Measure noise levels of the stationary noise of operating motor vehicles: It is estimated that 67 inspecting events would be held in this project as 58 are prescribed in the task description and the extra 9 are demanded by the EPB. The task description also requires that there should be at least 1,300 motor vehicles pulled over and 200 measured. In the actual implementation, 68 inspecting events are held while 1,393 vehicles are pulled over and 463 are measured. The rate of achievement is 100%. Among them, 180 are reported to the authority at a reporting rate of 39%. As for vehicles noise complaints, 2,032 vehicles are called on and 1,627 are measured. 39 are reported. The improvement rate is 82%.
(4) Inspect the airport and measure the parallel noise level of aircrafts: seasonal reports of Tainan Airport and Gui-ren airdrome are completed from season 1 to 4. Aircrafts noise measuring station and monitoring centre are inspected. Besides, noise measurement outside the airport is done in 2 sites.
(5) Assist in reviewing and revising noise control relevant regulation announcement of Tainan City and organise noise pollution relevant consultative meetings (or promotion, information meetings): one of the key tasks of this project is to assist in reviewing and revising, or recreating the announcing procedure of the legal process for the Noise Control Act Articles 7, 8, and 9. Article 7 is announced on 13rd January 2021 while Article 8 on 8th February 2021 and Article 9-I and subparagraph on 14th March 2017. In this project, after researches and reviews on the current situation in Tainan City and the announcements of other cities, it is decided that the original announcement is maintained. Regarding the consultative meetings, 2 noise control promoting meetings are realized at an achievement rate of 100%. They are “Aircrafts Noise Pollution Prevention Area Information Meeting” on 7th May 2020 and “Pollution Control in Campus in Tainan City” on 30th September 2020.
(6) Report to the Performance Evaluation of Environmental Protection Agency by the EPA on progress of noise control: uploading the executive information and results to the Noise Control Information System (http://ncs.epa.gov.tw/ncs/) every season, compiling an annual report to the EPB and subsequently submitting the EPB-authorized report to the EPA. The result of performance evaluation this year is 2.8 points (the full marks are 3).
(7) Other assignments relating to noise pollution control: this project also assists in inspecting 7 religious events in temples. Besides, 30 non-ionizing radiation measurements in the environment are done at an achievement rate 100% including Extremely Low Frequency or Radio Frequency. The website is maintained and updated every month to provide the monitoring results of noise level in the environment and from the traffic, as well as information and links for the latest events.