Due to the characteristics of engine operation, diesel vehicles are prone to emit PM2.5, which accounts for 19.3% of Taoyuan city’s total emissions. In addition, owing to its huge impact on health, the World Health Organization has listed PM2.5 as a first-class carcinogen. Thus, this plan implements a number of pollution controls on diesel vehicles to actively monitor air quality.
Relevant control measures include roadside inspections, site inspections, dynamometer testing, planning and implementing the work projects of Taoyuan City Pollution Prevention and Control Plan, joint inspection operations of air quality zones in four northern cities in response to the deterioration of air quality, and promoting vehicle owners to develop regular maintenance and inspections to obtain the self-management mark announced by the Environmental Protection Administration. In addition to these, in accordance with Taoyuan City’s local government ordinances and regulations on the Development of a Low-Carbon Green City, the city’s operators of diesel vehicles over 22 years old are notified for inspection to reduce the impact of highly polluting vehicles on the air quality of the city.
To maintain the fairness of the inspection and the validity of the Taiwan Accreditation Foundation certification, an extended evaluation work was conducted in 2021 to improve related deficiencies raised by the committee, and the certificate was extended to April 18, 2024. Furthermore, to enhance the professional knowledge of inspectors, 5 internal education training sessions have already been held this year, with topics including preliminary education training, occupational safety and health, precautions for vehicle condition inspection, laboratory measurement uncertainty, and environmental protection inspection regulations.
This plan implements the operation of environmental education facilities, including 8 teaching activities, 2 foreign visit and exchange, new additions and amendments to the curriculum plan, teaching assistant training and assessment authorization, partnership promotion, production of promotion products, etc., with the aim of promoting environmental education and enticing all age groups, through focused education, to pay attention to air quality.
The implementation results of this plan this year are as follows:
(1) For those who have not obtained the self-management mark and have obvious black smoke, 2,083 vehicles were stopped for roadside checks, and 135 vehicles were found to be unqualified, with an unqualified rate of 6.5%.
(2) In accordance with the “Methods and Procedures for Testing the Opacity of Diesel Vehicle Black Smoke Emissions” announced by the Environmental Protection Administration, 5,602 vehicles were tested by a dynamometer, in which 289 vehicles were found unqualified, with an unqualified rate of 5.3%.
(3) In accordance with Taoyuan City’s local government ordinances and regulations on the Development of a Low-Carbon Green City, 2,101 vehicles were notified to be inspected and 967 vehicles were inspected at the inspection station. There were 15 unqualified vehicles, and the unqualified rate was 1.6%.
(4) Carrying out the joint inspection for air quality in the northern area, handling 9 sessions, 139 roadside checks, 31 inspections, and finding 7 unqualified vehicles, with an unqualified rate of 5.0%.
(5) In line with the major policy of the Environmental Protection Administration: carry out the inspection of the diesel vehicle Selective Catalytic Reduction system, inspect 17 vehicles at the site, and sample 318 vehicles for the concentration of diesel exhaust fluid.
(6) Handled 2 sessions of community relations promotion activities and 1 session of regulations promotion.
(7) 2 indicators of the Pollution Prevention and Control Plan have been implemented, and it is estimated that 27.31 metric tons of PM10 and 24.27 metric tons of PM2.5 can be reduced.