The sources of atmospheric particulate matter can be divided into primary and secondary pollutants, and those of primary particulate matter into pipeline emissions and fugitive emissions. Based on the data obtained from the Taiwan Emission Data System (TEDS 11.0 with 2018 as the base year), the emissions of primary pollutants (PM10) across the nation total 117,400 tons per year. In terms of fugitive emissions, construction and road dust accounts for 67.63% and industrial dust 11.39%, which totals 79.02%. As such, Taiwan’s control of particulate matter emissions targets sources of fugitive particulate matter emissions.
This research project primarily assists the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) in conducting an investigation into the current status of air pollution control facilities concerning sources of fugitive particulate matter emissions, and activation and deactivation of early warning reporting during periods of poor air quality, to pursue the control of road dust surrounding industrial areas and large-scale construction projects, the improvement of dining fumes, and the pollution discharge from folk activities, so as to improve the effectiveness of pollution control in road, dining fumes and folk activities, in order to prompt local governments to strengthen the implementation of pollution control, reaching the goal of improving air quality. The objectives of this project include:
1. Improve economic incentives for the reduction in fugitive particulate matter emissions, while revising laws and regulations pertaining to the control of fugitive particulate matter emissions, so as to implement an air pollution management system.
2. Push the fugitive particulate emissions related control to improve the reduction of particulate emissions.
3. Implement environment friendly folk worship activity, open burning and oil fumes control management.
This year we helped the EPA revise the Management Regulations for Construction Project Air Pollution Control Facilities and review the construction pollution control fee rate, while inviting experts and scholars to hold expert consulting meetings, where a draft for the revision of laws and regulations and a solution for revising the economic incentive rate for the reduction of fugitive particulate matter emissions were proposed. For 110 and 111 executive years, Inspection of 416 public and private premises to be compliant with the laws and regulations pertaining to fugitive particulate matter emissions from stationary sources. Local governments should guide those failed to implement laws and regulations. A total of 1,970.2km of roads around counties and cities on Taiwan Island were inspected for pollution during periods of poor air quality. All the counties and cities shall make improvements and report the results within the specified period of time. Investigations into 7 international commercial ports and 28 gravel fields were also conducted to urge port administrations and industry to improve implementation of loading/unloading operation and control of fugitive particulate matter emissions over traffic routes. A New system (Construction Air Pollution Fee Collection System A2021) was programmed for local environmental protection bureaus.
Several actions have been conducted to promote environment-friendly folk worship activities. For open burning and oil fumes control management, Agricultural Waste Open Burning Information System has been evaluated. Since January 2022, Nationwide Merits to replace Joss Paper donation has been started in major convenience store chain. 23 restaurants and 7 livestock farms were selected from local authority 44 guidance request list for subject experts to evaluate and provide recommendations for improvement. Questionnaires of 68 major chain stores (141 of restaurants, shopping center, department store, hyper market, hotel and school) has been conducted. 43 restaurants were inspected for the implementation of Management Regulations for Food and Beverage Service Activities Air Pollution Control Facilities. For total, 110 gas collection hoods were inspected for dimension and installation position and 96 of them were inspection gas collection flow rate.