The "2021 Miaoli County Volatile Organic Compound Inspection and Odor Pollution Audit Control Plan" was signed on February 3, 2021. The implementation of the plan includes regulatory compliance check, sampling for VOCs vacuum stainless steel bottle analysis, functional odor testing, efficiency verification of prevention equipment, infrared leak scanning of equipment components, creation of fingerprint data, public interviews, improving complaints of citizens, SOP submission, press releases, automatic sampling equipment set-up (rental), and automatic sampling equipment set-up (bureau). From the date of signing the project to November 30, 2020, detailed descriptions of the work as follows:
(1) The inspection standards in the regulations are based on the "Volatile Organic Compounds Air Pollution Control and Emission Standards". The inspection content mainly targets exhaust gas combustion towers, process facilities, loading operation facilities, storage tanks, equipment components, sewage treatment plants, and cooling towers. The audit has been completed for 30 processes. The main common deficiency in the inspections is " equipment component leakage ". The owner has been requested to make improvements by the deadline, and the plan has been reviewed and approved as completed.
(2) VOCs vacuum stainless steel bottle sampling analysis, 10 sampling points have been completed and some pollutants characteristic of public and private places have been found, such as 2-butanone, toluene, etc. In addition, the program also conducts inspection and testing on suspected pollutants including China General Plastic, Taiwan Woei Sheng, Composite Woodtek Industrial and Information Technology, including VOCs species analysis of emission pipelines, detection of functional odors in pipelines and perimeters, etc., to trace the possible sources of pollution.
(3) Functional odor testing has been completed for 8 ducts, and 10 perimeter functional odor testing points have met the emission standards.
(4) The project has completed 4 validations for the activated carbon adsorption equipment, and the validation results are all by the permitted processing efficiency. In addition, during the inspection of Kolon Industrial, it was found that the plant did not replace the adsorbent in accordance with the permitted frequency, which was a violation of Article 24 of the Air Pollution Law, and the penalty was imposed in accordance with the law.
(5) The leakage scanning operation of the infrared line of equipment components has been completed for 11 processes, and 7 leakages were found. The deficient operators included Changchun Miaoli Plant No. 2 and CNPC Natural Gas Processing Plant. For the leakage of the above-mentioned equipment components, they have asked the plants to carry out improvement by the deadline and submitted improvement letters to the Environmental Protection Bureau for the record, and the estimated temporary reduction of VOCs reaches 2.2 tons/year.
(6) Fingerprint data construction operation has been completed, and 8 ducts VOC species samples have been collected, all of which have been analyzed and documented. The project has found that some operators have high concentrations of specific species at the end of the pipeline, including Changchun Miaoli Plant No. 2 M21-PJ01, which contains high concentrations of chloromethane, and Taiwan Wei-Sheng M01-P103, which contains high concentrations of benzene pollutants.
(7) The public interviewing completed 1,000 interviews, and the interviewing areas included Tunglo Township, Toufen City, Zhunan Township, and Miaoli City, among which in Tunglo Township, 58% of people said the air quality has been maintained, 25% of people said the air quality has been improved.
In Toufen, 58% of the people interviewed in Tianliao, Luzhu, and Minsheng Village said the air quality has remained the same, and 19% said the air quality has improved. 48% of the respondents in Zhunan Township, mainly in Gongguan village, Ciding village, and Tai Po village, said the air quality has been maintained, 40% of the respondents said the air quality has improved.25% of the respondents in Miaoli City, mainly in Wensheng village and Fuan village, said the air quality has improved and 12% of the respondents said the air quality has improved.
(8) This year, the project will provide counseling to improve the factories that have been submitted by the public, and this year, the project will provide counseling to Composite Woodtek Industrial M01 and Man Lai Plastic M01, both of which are close to the emission standard in terms of odor sampling results, and there is obvious odor emission in the process area. Therefore, this plan arranges for experts and scholars to visit the factory to carry out counseling and improvement and reduction operations, among which Hua Yu Industrial is expected to strengthen the closed collection of pollution sources and install air conditioning to reduce the temperature of exhaust gases; Man Lai Plastics is still in the process of replying to members' improvement opinions and is expected to carry out follow-up after the factory has replied to the improvement plan.
(9) VOCs automatic sampling and monitoring operations, 81 sets of monthly VOCs automatic sampling and monitoring operations have been completed, with a total of 11 locations and 9 pieces of equipment erected.
(10) Press Release, 4 press releases have been written and published on the public platform.
(11) The mobile air product monitoring vehicle completed mobile monitoring at 6 locations, including Tongluo Industrial Park-119 County Highway, Tongluo Industrial Park-Minsheng Road, Industrial Park Service Center, Chung Hsing Industrial Park-Chung Hsing 1st Street, Industrial Park Service Center, and Zhunan Industrial Park Service Center, where the project received complaints from the public in Tongluo Industrial Park. In addition, for the Chung Hsing Industrial Park, the project also performed a stage investigation of the time of repeated public complaints by sending out mobile air product monitoring vehicles at night, locating the Captain Incorporation to perform sampling analysis of the surrounding species, and using infrared thermal display and PID to perform equipment operation and confirmation of perimeter concentration. In November, we also conducted nighttime odor sampling and nighttime audits of the factory's perimeter and found that the factory did not operate the prevention equipment in accordance with the permit requirements.
In the future, this plan will not only continue to perform inspections, but also perform re-inspections for manufacturers whose compliance with the laws and regulations are not verified, and confirm the manufacturers' improvement methods. Let the manufacturers make specific commitments to complete the missing projects to ensure the air quality in Miaoli County.