Abiding the Soil and Groundwater Pollution Remediation Act (SGPRA), Environmental Protection Bureau of Chiayi City (EPBCC) has conducted soil and groundwater tests periodically alongside with managements of storage systems, audits of corporations, and educational campaigns to overall ensure the quality of soil and groundwater while promoting the idea of resource conservation.
In order to maintain the regulation on soil and groundwater use, EPBCC has implemented “Soil and Groundwater Monitoring and Inspection Plan—Chiayi City” (following referred as “the Plan”) in 2022. Through the Plan, the Chiayi City can contain and treat the soil and groundwater pollution, securing the well-being of its environment and its citizens. Following is the final report about work descriptions and results:
1.Groundwater Quality Inspection during the dry season (8 wells)
(1) The analytical concentrations at MW-11 were lower than the groundwater monitoring standards. However, the concentration of NH4+ at MW-5 and MW-14~16 surpassed the groundwater monitoring standards.
(2) The analytical concentrations of VOCs、TPH、MTBE at MW-17~19was lower than the groundwater monitoring standards.
2. Maintenance of the Monitoring Wells
(1) Checking the exterior of 27 monitoring wells were complete. MW-2、MW3、MW14、MW-15 and MW-16 had some surface damage. These wells were repaired and returned to function normally.
(2) Interior Maintenance of 3 Monitoring Wells. Moreover, matter was removed from 3 monitoring wells to maintain their original depth.
3.Farmland Soil Synchronization Crop Survey
(1) Completed the simultaneous soil heavy metal crop sampling operations for the four agricultural land lots 788, 789, 789-9 and 792 in Beiyuan Section, Chiayi City.
(2) The XRF screening results of the four sites were all below the food crop farmland/soil contamination control standards; the results of the rice crop testing provided by the Agriculture and Animal Husbandry Division were also below the hygiene standards for contaminants and toxins in food, with no abnormalities.
4.Management of Storage Tanks System
(1) Underground Storage Tanks (UGST)
A. Evaluation of the online data: the initial values were entered during the third quarter of 2021 and the first and second quarter of 2022; Few sites had abnormal values. After contacting the owners and reevaluation, the follow-up examination was passed.
B. Five onsite inspections: all the sites have passed the examination. The functionality of the soil vapor monitoring wells was normal, and the results of leak detection evaluation passed the criteria.
(2) Aboveground Storage Tank System (AGST) (28 sites)
28 sites have undergone assessment and received assistance.18 sites have to submit improvement plan before 2023/12/31.
(3)Regulation explaining session：The session has helped the participants understand more about the “Water Pollution Regulation of 33th ” and was held at CPC Chiayi branch on 2022/4/28.
5.Funds transferred to soil and water survey (CPC old Chiayi oil, soil and water verification)
(1)A total of 6 soil samples (S01~S06) and 1 groundwater (MW-20) were collected.
(2) Soil verification results
1. The TPH of S01 surpassed the soil pollution control standards.
2. The TPH, benzene and xylene of S02 all surpassed the soil pollution control standards.
3. The analysis results of S03~S05 were all lower than the soil pollution monitoring standard.
(3)Groundwater verification results: MTBE surpassed the groundwater pollution monitoring standards; benzene, toluene, naphthalene, and TPH surpassed the groundwater pollution control standards.
Case 1：one gas station onsite inspections: the gas station has passed the examination. The functionality of the soil vapor monitoring wells was normal, and the results of leak detection evaluation passed the criteria.
Case 2：Completed one groundwater monitoring well setup.
7.Environmental Conservation Campaign
(1) Campaign events through storytelling at schools： picture storybooks made by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are told alongside with a short video “the Gold beneath your feet” played at schools with a total of 540 participants.
(2) Printed picture storybooks：Printed 800 copies picture storybooks authorized by Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
8.Supervision and Inspection on Polluted Sites
By Dec. 2022, there were two polluted soil remediation sites and two polluted soil and groundwater control sites. The current progress of four sites has been up to date.
9.Assistance toward EPBCC regarding the examination on 8 and 9 Rules from SGPRA. Until 2022/12, there was one case has been received. The examination result complied with regulatory standards.
The goals of the plan have been achieved in 2022. The EPB, CYC will continue to focus on monitoring the quality of groundwater and soil.