According to the statistical data by the beginning in 2010, it is shown that: the number of operating vehicles registered to the Tainan City reaches up to 796, 568 vehicles in total; and there are about a total number of 13,299 diesel vehicles therein in accordance with the data pertaining to the number of diesel vehicle provided by the Supervising Unit; wherein, the sum total of registered bus and heavy truck are as high as up to 4,979 vehicles and a total number of 8,271 diesel light-notchbacks approximately.
The Inspection & Testing Stations in Tainan City have been awarded the ISO14001 authentication all the time since 2000 that maintains an excellent environmental management. A lead-in of control system for laboratory accreditation was incepted in 2006 while an accreditation for laboratory of inspection & testing was granted from the Taiwan Accreditation Foundation (TAF) in March 2007; and a certificate to extend the accreditation for three years was obtained after passing the appraisement of TAF once again as part of the program in this year, and that makes thereof inspection & testing quality comparatively creditable; furthermore, a Class-A achievement to be the first place nationwide was honored from the evaluation of Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) to prove that the quality of performance is very reliable. In the future, the Stations will continue to maintain the quality in this regard so that the affirmation for the quality of inspection & testing from the Inspection & Testing Station is achievable.
Nine persons in total as manpower were input into this program during thereof runtime; therein, six of them were in possession of the certificate for inspecting & testing the smoke emission from diesel vehicle by instrument while four of them had the certificate for visually inspecting the smoke emission from the diesel vehicle.
1. Runtime of program
The runtime of this program is twelve months in full from May 12, 2009 to May 11, 2010.
2. Achievements of work schedule
Work item Targeted number Month May June July August Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. March April May Total achieved
Notice for visual
inspection of smoke
emission 1600 Planned 150 170 150 150 200 200 200 130 100 100 50 0 1651
Achieved 235 169 129 179 263 275 218 94 39 38 15
& Testing by
Diesel vehicles 2000 Planned 60 150 180 200 200 200 200 200 180 180 150 100 2534
Achieved 114 264 254 181 262 256 297 294 209 112 208 83
Vehicles by blocking
Vehicle for inspection
At road side 135 Planned 10 15 15 15 15 15 10 10 10 10 10 139
Achieved 0 11 23 9 11 19 9 18 24 3 10 2
Oil sample taken
At road side 200 Planned 12 12 10 10 10 10 10 10 8 10 200
Achieved 0 12 16 2 0 20 4 12 18 0 13
Oil sample taken
Station Planned 15 12 10 7 7 8 8 8 8 7
Achieved 2 17 11 10 12 6 7 5 4 1 14 2
Oil sample taken
From gas station Planned 4 4
Achieved 4 4
Of diesel 5 Planned 1 1 1 1 1 5
Achieved 1 1 1 2
Conference 3 Planned 1 1 1 3
Achieved 1 1 1
For dissemination 1100 Planned 1110 1110
graffiti 5 Planned 5 5
Achieved 4 1
test 12 Planned 2 2 2 2 2 2 12
Achieved 2 2 2 2 2 2
Relevance test 1 Planned 1 1
ISO14001 certification In
force Reviewed and passed the certification in December 2009
Force The operation of system is still in force after having passed the appraisement for 3-year extension
on December 3, 2009 and obtained a new certificate in February 2010.
3. Results from phrasal implementation of primary works
(1) The statistical data show that 2,641 diesel vehicles (107 non-loaded vehicles therein) in total were inspected from May 12, 2009 to April 15, 2010 that achieves the objective of this program up to 100%.
(2) Performed the Notice of Visual Smoke Inspection for 1,651 vehicles from May 12, 2009 to April 15, 2010 that achieves the objective of this program up to 100%.
(3) Inspected & tested 2,641 diesel vehicles with 2,534 vehicles therein fully loaded to achieve the objective up to 100%. Amongst the inspected &tested vehicles, 166 vehicles failed at a rate of nonconformity about 6.3%.
(4) Taken 200 oil samples in total, including 90 samples randomly sampled and performed the in-station inspection & testing mainly focusing on the subject vehicles, 102 samples taken from blocking & sampling the samples from vehicles for inspection and 8 samples taken from gas station for spot check test that achieves progress of work up to 100%. According to the results of inspection, only one sample failed. 5 oil samples of aromatic hydrocarbon were taken for inspection and all of them passed the inspection.
(5) Performed the inspection for smoke emission at roadside for 271 vehicles, 139 vehicles therein failed at a rate of nonconformity of 51.3% that achieves the progress of work for nonconforming count up to 100%.
(6) Finished the assessment for the Smoke Emission Inspection & Testing Station on October 21 by Environmental Protection Administration (EPA); continued the excellent performance of Class-A in previously consecutive three years; 2006, 2007 and 2008; and honored the Class-A performance as well in 2009 with the performance won the first place nationwide.
(7) Conducted to held two Public Awareness Conferences pertaining to the diesel vehicles on September 23, 2009 and February 3, 2010; and cosponsored the third public awareness conference to organize the invitation to the drawing contest of “I draw to love Earth” activity around the end of March 2010 as part of the series of activities for 422 Earth Day. The progress of work reaches 100%.
(8) Finished the Relevance Test once in August 2009 that reaches 100% progress of work.
(9) Accepted and completed the yearly assessment for ISO14001 on December 22, 2009 that continues to maintain the validity of accreditation.
(10) Performed the assessment for 3-year extension of accreditation by Taiwan Accreditation Foundation (TAF) on December 4, 2009; passed the assessment and obtained the new certificate in February 2010 that keeps the system in effect currently.
(11) Finished and submitted the scheduled animation, video game, electronic greeting cards and graffiti, etc.
4. Reduction volume of pollutants
Number of nonconforming vehicles that have been performed the inspection & testing in the program is 305 vehicles (Inspection & Testing Station: 166 vehicles, roadside inspection: 139 vehicles).
Reduction volume of Total Suspended Particulate:
TSP=305x0.465g/km x 50000x10-6=7.09 Ton/Yr
5. Summary of statistical analysis
(1) The City is a city of metropolis model so that a lot of small diesel vehicles registered here.
(2) The oil products have been greatly improved, and there is no illegal service provider of oil product founded in the area under administration.
(3) The biggest source of pollution from diesel vehicles is the vehicle of old vintage at stage 1 and stage 2.
(4) Pollution degree will heighten along with the increase of age of vehicle; and inspection against the vehicle of old age shall be enhanced.
(5) Since the small vehicles drive around the downtown very frequent, inspection shall be reinforced.
(6) The pollution degree inspected by blocking vehicles at roadside is higher than the degree inspected in station, the inspection at roadside shall be reinforced.
(7) Certain specific brands of vehicle at old age shall be stressed their inspection.
(8) Inappropriately or purposelessly set to inspection shall be stopped or help correct it.
(9) The actual percentage to track down the highly polluted vehicles goes lower year by year that evidences an effect of control clearly.
6. Proposal for future implementation
(1) To reinforce the blocking & inspection and screening against the old diesel vehicles at roadside.
(2) To conduct an inspection for smoke emission against the small diesel vehicles driving around the downtown area in city.
(3) To help correct the bad habits of improper tuning and repair.
(4) Disseminate or subsidize the old diesel vehicles for discard.