This project was mainly to assist the Environmental Protection Bureau (Nantou EPB) of the Nantou County Government in carrying out the “water pollution source inspection and control plan in Nantou County 2010”. All tasks in the plan have been put into action, including “checking of the wastewater discharge”, “functional examination of industrial wastewater treatment facilities”, “Assistance with water pollution control measure plans and review of all relevant permission documents, on-site check and counseling flaw improvement”, “holding water pollution prevention and control explanation meetings”, “wastewater sample examination”, “Investigation and blocking or removal of underground pipes”. With full support from the EPB of the Nantou County Government, this project had been 100% completed during the execution period.
The executive results of all the tasks are described as follows.
1. When checking country controlled industrial wastewater or water pollution cases, and the parameters of wastewater treatment facilities, our team had finished 1277 reports during the project period, which was more than the contract-required 696 reports. Therefore, our team achieved 100% of this task.
2. As for sampling of wastewater from industrial effluent points, we had analyzed samples from 506 points, which was more the contract-required 260 points. The sampling results demonstrated that 454 points were qualified, and 52 were unqualified (3 of these unqualified were from livestock industry, and 49 from other country controlled industrial units)
3. We had completed functional examination of industrial wastewater treatment facilities 3 times.
4. Six explanation meetings had been held to promote water pollution prevention and control measures for 383 companies, and attendance rate reached 70.9% (266 attendants).
5. Regarding the investigation and blocking or removal of underground pipes, there were 10 cases discovered, and these were removed or blocked by the EPB of the Nantou County Government and our team. For this work, we estimated an elimination of 265.1 kg/day of BOD.
6. To establish the river monitoring and patrol system, we had undertaken education and training programs for volunteers 12 times. Altogether, 798 river volunteers helped with the 48 clean-up river events and collected 10,783 kg of garbage and 2,856 kg of recycled material.
This project had assisted the EPB of the Nantou County Government in getting 2600 points during the project period, and 2,732.5 points up to Dec, 31 of 2010.