The Environmental Protection Administration setup a “Water Pollution Incident Emergency Response and Defense System Of Main Points” on 18th of June 2008, with Northern, Central, Southern and Eastern defense system districts.
The effect of typhoons, floods and earthquakes and other natural disasters to cause damage to infrastructure and facilities (Such as: damage to waste water treatment facilities; ground storage tank leakage; pipeline rupture; human error; ineffective drainage; wastewater, oil or chemical contamination of water; etc) can cause significant water pollution incidents.
Emergency response action can be taken at all levels in accordance with the governing authority and based on the regulations, to start the Water Pollution Emergency Response Defense System quickly and effectively.
The main tasks of the project are as follows:
1. The plan referred to this project six areas in the Central District: Miaoli County, Taichung City, Taichung County, Nantou County, Changhua County and Yunlin County. This principle of six counties and cities can be extended under agreement with the EPA.
2. To perform, in conjunction with the EPA, cleaning and maintenance of equipment and inventory services, in order to maintain the function and readiness of equipment.
3. To plan for EPB establish water pollution emergency response regional defense system and the start and exit mechanisms.
4. Update the EPA's information system which is related to water and ocean incidents.
5. To perform water and ocean emergency response activities and training.
(1) To perform a water pollution emergency response activity in the central area once.
(2) To perform ocean pollution emergency response activity once.
(3) To perform water and ocean pollution training once.
(4) To perform emergency response equipment training once.
6. Provide emergency assistance for water pollution incidents (within the areas of Miaoli County, Taichung City, Taichung County, Nantou County, Changhua County and Yunlin County. Handled areas included: Rivers, oceans and inland water).
7. With other contents:
The progress of the project is as follows:
(1) The team completed maintenance and inventory of response equipment for each department in the counties and cities during 10th may to 20th may, 2010, and also completed updates to EPA’s ocean pollution prevent administration system in June 2010.
(2) The team has assisted to complete the establishment of the defense system and also made revisions and amendments in accordance with the EPA's guidelines within the Central defense system district (Miaoli County, Taichung City, Taichung County, Nantou County, Changhua County and Yunlin County).
(3) Completed the first exercise of Central Area and Mailiao Port Ocean Pollution Emergency Response Projects on 20th July of 2010. It was expected the second exercise would be completed on 28th of July in 2010, but it was delayed due to bad weather. This second exercise was completed on 7th of September and press releases were also provided.
(4) On the morning of 19th of August, 2010, “Water and Ocean Pollution Emergency Response Training” was completed in the conference room of Yunlin County Touliu Industrial Area. Completion of “Emergency Response Equipment Training” followed in the afternoon, and press releases were provided.
(5) As of the 21st of August, we have participated in responses to four water pollution incidents. These incidents were: The fire at the Yan-Huang industrial area, Taichuang; The fuel oil spill from a pig and duck's blood factory in Dayou village, Yunlin County; The oil pollution incident at Gaomei Wetland, Taichuang County; The ash residue pollution from fire at factory 2 of Formosa N0.6 Naphtha, Mailiao. The response to each of these incidents was completed successfully.
(6) The project compiled and revised the "Yunlin County Water Pollution Emergency Response Operations Brochure", and provided it to the Yunlin EPB to use on 27th of May, 2010. According to the requirements of bureau, the revised comparison table of operation's key points was completed and submitted on 11th of October, 2010.
(7) Yunlin EPB provided a press release, “Ocean Pollution Prevention Laws Seminar in Yunlin county, 2010”, performed on the 4th floor in the hall at 9:30 am on 11th of October, 2010.
(8) Completed the exercise of Central Area River Oil Pollution Emergency Response Activity at Shiliuben River, Guangming Bridge, Wenhua Rd., Douliu City, Yunlin County on 23rd of November, 2010. Two press releases were provided.
Ongoing, additional River and Ocean Pollution Emergency Response exercises will be performed, to strengthen knowledge and expertise, and improve the effectiveness of responses. Continued training in response procedures and equipment use will enhance the skills of personnel in the region, and the experience gained from prior responses will be used to improve responses in the future. These factors will help to reduce the impact of pollution and resulting economic loss.