The project implementation term is from 26th of May to 31st of December in 2011. Mainly, through advocacy forum for clean pig model, the understanding of the pig farm industry set up toilets will in the city, and arranged for staff to inspect the site and collect information of setting whole installation, set to master the situation and with the interrelationship between water quality, in order to understand the pig farm industry needs, and thus guidance on setting up clean pig flow, and finally for the demonstrations of installing toilets set up wastewater treatment and reuse of counseling. A summary of the project works and investigative findings are summarized as follows:
1. holding advocacy description sessions : Completed 4 advocacy description sessions of clean pig model with pig toilet for source reduction in pig farm industry in Liouying、Gueiren、Madou and Sinhua, Kaohsiung in 2011, the agenda is examples of water pollution control measures and regulations, pig toilet installation and use instructions, playing cleaning pig propaganda video, sharing experience of pig toilet installation. The session has been in the questionnaires. The questionnaire is for the pig farmer’s basic information, their policies and the current operation for clean pig and the final survey of the wishes for the installation of pig toilet. The survey found that most pig famers agreed that EPA cleaning pig farmers policy and the famers are willing to cooperate through the cleaning pig policy.
2. The selection of pig famer model and set 500 simple type of pig toilet.
(A) The project has completed pig toilets which were sized to meet the EPA’s suggested specification which is an area of 1.0 m × 1.0 m, using the status bar of iron railings, and its height 10 cm above the ground and out spacing of 20 cm.
(B) According the results of questionnaire and phone interview, collecting and selecting the pig farmers, who were willing to step up pig toilet, to implement field survey, and confirm plan and number of establishing pig toilet for the 17 model farmers. 500 pig toilets were established completely in October, 2011.
3. Designing the record form of cleaning operation for pig farmer is to track investigative process monthly, and execute analysis of cost efficiency：
The form content includes water consumption, electric consumption, waste water quantity, amount of manure collected, compost, clearing waste and breeding rate etc for investigation. The record data is estimated value to be provided from the model farmers. The cleaning frequency, frequency, water consumption, wastewater quantity and labor operation have decreased, Collecting solids for the models farmer is increased.
4. Index testing station and water quality sampling for pig farmers:
Our team has made 3 times of sampling analysis for wastewaster, effluents and river quality before and after establishing pig toilets. As investigation of water quality, shows that chemical oxygen demand is decreased and others’ vary is not obvious.
5. Guidance to improve the three-step wastewater treatment facilities and operations, and counseling to help improve the solids removal volume:
Inviting experts for model farmers implement on-site assistance of three-step wastewater treatment facility and using pig toilets and provide on-site related suggestions in treatment and operation. In the future of field survey, the improvement of inspected matter whether does improve. The experts continue to assist the model farmers.