The aim of this project is to review the topics of reinforcing drinking-water regulation and policy, and response to the impact of climate change. By assessing the impact of climate change on drinking water quality, we formulated climate change adaptive strategies and conducted the Xiaoliuqiu low-Carbon Island Demonstration Project, improving the utilization of drinking water equipment. Furthermore, this project has raised the awareness of environmental protection and promoted drinking water safety by updating and maintaining the website "Global Drinking Water Website".
The result of the project implementation are as follows,
(1) Examining relevant regulations and policies in the fields of underground water protection, campground-setting, registration and mandatory reporting for public water dispensers. Conclusion and advice were proposed upon receiving feedback for the project presentation from the consulting committee.
(2) Analyzing potential impact of climate change manifestation on drinking water quality, which includes temperature and sea-level rising, and floods or droughts that could lead to change in the characteristics and concentration of dissolved organic matter (DOM) or increase the concentration of bromide ions in the water in case of seawater intrusion.
(3) Establishing climate change impact assessment, adaptation strategy and risk models using the climate adaptation algorithm, analyzing the impact of threshold- exceeding turbidity caused by heavy rain on water quality in three water-purification plants located in northern and central Taiwan, and proposing adaptation strategies to reduce vulnerability, avoid hazards, and reduce exposure, etc. for the preservation object water purification plants.
(4) The research and analysis of foreign drought strategies in response to climate change have pointed towards systematic management methods, such as implementing water source distribution, finding alternative water sources, strengthening rainwater collection, improving water efficiency, and increasing water storage capacity.
(5) The plastic-free and low-carbon island demonstration project:
a. Subsiding the installation of drinking dispensers in Xiaoliuqiu and Penghu areas
b. Created a clean, safe and convenient drinking water environment and reduced plastic water bottle wasting by creating drinking water maps, applying colorful adhesive film with slogans on water dispensers , setting up signs and guiding public slogans, installing drinking dispenser counters and Internet of Things, and holding activities to promote various drinking dispensers.
(6) Optimizing the website ”Global Drinking Water Website.”, which includes adopting graphic layout, responsive function, setting up keywords to automatically search and display the latest domestic and foreign information, etc., and including animations and promotional cards to improve online visitors experience.