Diesel vehicles are prone to PM2.5 emissions due to the characteristics of their engine operation, and account for 16.8% of the total emissions in Taoyuan City. Furthermore, the World Health Organization has classified PM2.5 as a Group 1 carcinogen, which has a huge impact on health. Therefore, the Project has implemented a number of pollution control methods for diesel vehicles to actively oversee air quality.
Relevant control measures include roadside inspections, terminal inspections, dynamometer inspections, planning and execution of work projects for Air Pollution Prevention proposal of Taoyuan City, cooperation for joint audit and air quality deterioration response done by Four Cities (Keelung City, New Taipei City, Taipei City, Taoyuan City) in the Northern Taiwan Air Quality Zone. We also promoted regular maintenance and inspection to vehicle owners, encouraging them to obtain the self-management label published by the EPA (Environmental Protection Administration). In accordance with the Local Autonomy Act of Low-carbon City Development in Taoyuan City, we also notified owners of diesel vehicles in the City aged more than 22 years to go for inspection, in order to reduce the impact of highly-polluting vehicles on the city's air quality.
In order to maintain the impartiality of the examination and the validity of the Taiwan Accreditation Foundation (TAF) certification, we conducted 1 supervisory evaluation in 2022 and improved the related deficiencies raised by the committee members. The validity date of the certificate was April 18, 2024. We also held an in-house training session this year to enhance the professional knowledge of the inspectors.
The Project also includes the operation of Environmental Education Facilities and Venues, including 15 teaching activities, training for teaching assistants, setting up a stall for promotion, and producing promotional materials. By promoting environmental education, we hope to emphasize the importance of air quality to all age groups by education started at a young age.
The Project's achievements and outcomes for the current year are as follows:
(1) The number of roadside inspections for vehicles without self-management label and with obvious black smoke was 2,191, 816 vehicles were tested and 178 unqualified among the cases, with an unqualified rate of 21.8%.
(2) In accordance with the "Smoke Opacity Testing Methods and Procedures of Diesel Vehicles" published by EPA, 5,931 vehicles were tested and 346 were unqualified, with an unqualified rate of 5.8%.
(3) According to regulations of the Local Autonomy Act of Low-carbon City Development in Taoyuan City, 1,065 vehicles were notified for inspection, 723 vehicles showed up for the inspection, 19 vehicles were unqualified, with an unqualified rate of 2.6%.
(4) The Northern Taiwan Air Quality Zone executed joint audits a total of 11 times, conducting roadside inspections on 150 vehicles, 39 vehicles were tested and 8 unqualified among the cases, with an unqualified rate of 20.5%.
(5) Diesel vehicle SCR system audits were carried out, with a total of 853 urea concentration tests to comply with EPA's policy.
(6) Two indicators from the Air Pollution Prevention proposal were implemented completely in 2022, with an estimated reduction of 20.51 metric tons of PM10 and 18.87 metric tons of PM2.5 emissions.