Project name: 2022 open-air burning and animal and catering oil fume and odor control plan in Chiayi County
Implementation period: January 1, 2022, to December 31, 2022
Project funding: NTD 9,500,000
Project moderator: Hong-Bin Lin
Executive labor force: seven people in total, including project manager Wen-Bang Xu, project engineer Ke-You Chen, Chen Tai-Jia Chen, Xu Heng-Yu Xu, Cheng-Yi Tsai, Yong-Xiang Qiu, and project assistant engineer Mei-Ling Liu.
This project is the "2022 open-air burning and animal and catering oil fume and odor control plan in Chiayi County." The implementation objective of the plan is to provide technology and labor forces to effectively implement the relevant prevention and control work such as open-air burning, animal farm odor, catering fume inspection and control, education, and propagation. The excerpt of the final report is from January 1, 2022, to December 31, 2022. The handling of various work items during the implementation of the plan is summarized as follows:
1. open-air burning site inspection
(1) We have investigated and dealt with a total of 1003 cases of open-air burning until December 31, 2022. It includes 107 cases of petition investigation, 98 cases of petition review, 612 cases of active inspection, and 186 cases of handling.
(2) Among the 1003 cases investigated and dealt with in the plan, we found 609 cases were open-air burning. According to the analysis of towns and cities, the maximum number of cases in Puzi City was 214 (35%), followed by 109 cases (18%) in Minxiong Township and 51 cases (8%) in Liujiao Township. We have built relevant data in the Geographic Information System (GIS).
(3) We found the burning species for the seized 609 cases of open-air burning. In this county, the burning of "plants_others" was the highest, with 322. Among them, burning open space weeds accounted for the highest 43%, followed by burning "tree branches and leaves" with 180 pieces (30%). There were 39 cases (6%) of solid waste, municipal waste, plastic waste, and other incineration cases. If the burning species and townships are cross-compared, Puzi City has the highest burning "plant_other" with 121 pieces, and Puzi City has the highest level burning "tree branches and leaves" with 45. According to the statistics of "solid waste_others," "municipal waste," and "plastic waste," there are 14 cases in Puzi City.
(4) We analyzed the open-air burning cases of the public nuisance petition information in the county in the same period in the past three years. In 2022, the number of open burning cases decreased by 23.7% (145) compared with 2021, indicating that the county's open burning situation is improving and showing a downward trend.
(5) Our team submitted 29 pre-harvest warning lists for the first phase of rice crops on May 24, 2022, and 23 pre-harvest warning lists for the second phase of rice crops on September 12, 2022.
(6) We installed a visual smoke detection (AI) and active notification system in the incinerator of Lucao Incineration Plant on March 17, 2022. Moreover, we carried out the on-site construction of Minxiong Winery and erected the second set of visual smoke detection (AI) and active notification system on April 27, 2022. According to statistics, as of December 31, 2022, they reported 282 warnings.
(7) There were 17 aerial camera inspections by unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), and the statistics ended on December 31, 2022. The aerial photography areas were Puzi City and Xingang Township, during which seized one open-air burning case.
2. Agricultural waste flow survey
The project surveyed the flow of the first phase of rice crops from June 27 to August 10, 2022. We have completed a total of 37131 rice field surveys (12084.7 hectares), accounting for 73.3% of the first rice planting area in the county. Most farmland can cooperate with the measures of plowing, burying, and decomposing (99.95%), and we found 24 plots (5.4 hectares) of farmland with burning traces (0.04%). Besides, we handled the second phase of rice crops from November 1 to November 29, 2022. We have accomplished a total of 30872 rice field land surveys (9787.72 hectares), accounting for 71% of the second stage of paddy planting area in the county. Most farmland can cooperate with the plowing, burying, and decomposing measures (97.95%). And we found 11 plots (1.92 hectares) of farmland with burning traces (0.04%), which also shows that the control measures of the county have achieved results.
3. Odor inspection and control operations in animal farms
(1) Statistics as of December 31, 2022, this plan has implemented a total of 532 rounds of perimeter inspections in hot areas of animal farms. We cooperate with the Agriculture Department, Water Pollution Division, Waste Management Division, and the inspection team to execute joint inspections.
(2) We have held three seminars on odor improvement in animal farms on April 28, 2022, August 29, 2022, and December 27, 2022. We have achieved resource sharing through meetings. Besides, we assist the Agriculture Department in understanding the source of pollution and give priority to guidance for improvement according to the inspection results. We hope that the source of animal husbandry improvement can effectively reduce the petition rate.
4. Oil fume pollution and guidance for the catering industry
(1) This plan has implemented 367 catering industry inventory and publicity operations until December 31, 2022.
(2) According to the latest announcement by the Ministry of Finance (August 2022), there are about 2,661 catering businesses in Chiayi County. From 2018 to December 31, 2022, the plan has mastered the installation of oil fume prevention equipment in 827 restaurants in the county. Preliminary estimates of the annual emissions of oil fume pollution are PM10: 31.18 tons, PM2.5: 29.23 tons, and NMHC: 113.71 tons.
(3) A total of 24 catering industries have completed the improvement of oil fume pollution, according to statistics, as of December 31, 2022. The annual pollution prevention reduction and control are PM10: 0.68 tons, PM2.5: 0.467 tons, and NMHC: 2.9 tons.
5. Handling guidance and multiple publicity exercises
(1) This project has handled 20 guiding exercises for catering industry experts and scholars.
(2) The project has completed four internal personnel education and training sessions. It is to improve the execution labor force of project professionals and review to better the work execution.
(3) The project has handled six "hazard of open-air burning to the environment" instruction sessions on campuses, six "reuse straw, do not burn it in the open air" instruction sessions, two oil fume pollution of catering industry instruction sessions, and two odor control of animal farm instruction sessions.
(4) The project has completed laying three construction sites (1500 square meters). We hope to use this activity as a model to establish a new way of thinking in the county community to promote the reuse of straw and lay straw mats on construction sites. To encourage community participation in agricultural waste (straw) reuse programs to improve the effectiveness of agricultural waste reduction.
(5) The first stage of the publicity and planning part of the cable TV news tickers and local radio stations broadcasted from June 24, 2022, to June 30, 2022, and the second stage was from October 25, 2022, to October 31, 2022. They broadcasted those CF propaganda cards on the cable TV companies of the mountainous line (SHIH SIN) and the coastal line (TA YANG). And the propaganda tapes recorded by the "Cheng Sheng Broadcasting Corp.," "Yeue-Chia Broadcasting," "Sister Radio," and "UFO Broadcasting Co., Ltd.", were through the publicity radio tapes recorded by the county mayor last year, with a total of 14 days of publicity. They are to publicize to the public not to burn straw in the open air and control the burning in the open air in Jiayi County.
(6) We implemented the broadcasting van plan from July 1, 2022, to August 14, 2022, for the first phase of rice crops, and from October 17, 2022, to November 30, 2022, for the second phase of rice crops. During the first phase of rice crops, a total of 45 days publicized about 11950 people. During the second phase of rice crops, a total of 45 days disseminated about 11239 people. Broadcast towns and cities are Xingang Township, Minxiong Township, Dalin Township, Liujiao Township, Taibao City, Puzi City, Shuishang Township, Dongshi Township, Lucao Township, Xikou Township, Budai Township, Zhongpu Township, etc.
(7) As for the part about not burning the banners in the open air and the project promotional materials, we submitted and printed 300 copies of the banners and 1100 promotional materials on May 31, 2022.
(8) This plan counted 306 people from instruction sessions on campus, 311 people from instruction sessions of the farmer associations, 215 people from instruction sessions of animal and catering industries, and 23,189 people from broadcasting vans. The entire publicity reached a total of 24,021 people.
6. Other cooperation matters
(1) On May 18, 2022, we held a press conference on the "National Highest AI Intelligent Smoke Detection Commanding Height Monitoring System."
(2) Combining the cooperation of local environmental protection volunteers and colleges and universities, we have promoted the establishment of the open-air burning patrol team for four years. Currently, 74 patrolling personnel have joined the ranks of the open-air burning notification group. As of December 31, 2022, the platform has received a total of 129 notifications, according to statistics.
(3) As for the satellite fire point notification of the Environmental Protection Administration, they have received a total of 11 cases of information platform notification for the fire point. And the project has completed on-site inspections for all of them. However, even if there are sure location coordinates, we still unfound ten open-air burning situations because the satellite information is not real-time.